Thursday, October 26, 2006

Disaster Avoided

So I had an interview with a web development firm yesterday. I got all dressed up and ready to go; with suit, tie, and laptop in hand, I headed off to the company for the meeting. I arrive 10 minutes early, hit the intercom to be let into the office, and wait until the guy opened the door. This is where things go down hill, literally.

As we were walking up the stairs to the second floor loft, I stumbled. As I fell forward, my brief case, which contained my brand new laptop, cell phone, etc... fell from my hand. I watched in horror as the case rolled and bounced all the way down the stairs, landing just inches from the glass door at the bottom.

At that point, I was horrified; physically ok, but definitely visibly and mentally shaken. I was more concerned about my laptop than I was about my well being. Now, I realize that a laptop if a tangible possession, and can be replaced, but that is not the point. The point is, that laptop is my livelihood.

Thankfully, the laptop was in a hard shelled case, with plenty of padding inside to protect the computer. There was plenty of extra packing around it, meaning the laptop was not going anywhere. I am happy to say that all is well with the laptop; still works like new. I'm thinking about writing some funny testimonial about the extreme durability testing that I just put my laptop through, and sending it to dell to post on the web somewhere.

As far as the interview is concerned, I'm not sure where things stand. I'm not feeling as confident as I had been about the company being a good fit for me. I have to do some thinking about all of it, and decide what would be best for me. I'm thinking that I may just say to hell with it, and just continue as I am now. I have a good part-time job as a webmaster for a reputible company, and I also have plenty of project leads coming in right now. I'm thinking that I can continue on in the capacity that I'm in now, for a while anyway.

Well, I better end here for now. More later.

No comments: