Sunday, February 05, 2006

Love Thy Enemy!

The scriptures teach us that we are to forgive those who trespass against us, and that we should love our enemies. Our father, who art in heaven, forgives us of our trespasses, and we are to forgive those who tresspass against us in equal measure. We are not to hold a grudge, nor are we to seek vengence against those who do us wrong. This comes from Leviticus 19:18, "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

We are to be a reflection of the Love that God has for us. In the same manner, we are to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, even if the person has done us wrong. Now this doesn't mean that we are to have emotional feelings towards the person, like we might have for a spouse, or family member. This means that despite the feelings of resentment we may have, we should still be considerate, and respectful.

For example, there are a couple of guys around here on the campus, for whom I don't care. They are generally rude, arrogant, and self-absorbed. While I don't necessarily agree with how they behave, when in passing, if we meet and they speak, I generally acknowledge them. Simply because it is a courtious and respectful thing to do. If someone speaks to you, you should at least acknowledge their presence. I don't have to care for them, but I don't have to be rude and hateful in return. It's all about maturity.

Another example, there is someone that I work with in the library, that I find difficult to work with; primarily because of her disposition towards those around her. While it is really tempting to speak my mind to her, I have enough respect for the fact that she is a superior, to not say anything to her. There are proper ways to handle situations like that; ways that won't result in physical confrontations or other drastic measures.

Love thy Enemy; show some maturity, and be respectful of those around you.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Not to worry Natty, you know I'm referring to you.

Hypothetically, if I were to tell you off, you still wouldn't fire me. And do you know why? Simple, I want out too badly, and misery loves company.

Mike said...

Lauren, if that's the kind of person you really are, I don't want to know you.

Some wanna-be nun you are.