Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Talking to the Lord

Talking to the Lord

While resting one day, by the side of the road, I saw an old farmer in a field he’d just hoed. His face was all brown, and wrinkled by the wind. And he was talking to the Lord, just like he’d be talking to a friend. He said, “Well sir, in a voice calm and quiet. Them corn tops needs a sacking, but I got no string to tie ‘em. Ain’t had no rain in so long, the fields is mighty dusty. And it’s been so unbearable hot, even the kids is getting fussy. And you take the grass in the pasture Lord; why it ought to have been knee. If we could just get a shower or two, might keep the cow from going dry.

Ah but, list to me a talking. Why you’d think I wasn’t grateful. And if you didn’t know me so well Lord, you’d think I was down right hateful. You’d think I wasn’t thankful for the new calf that you sent, and the money that came in the mail to catch up the rent. Why, ma’s colds better, and Johnny’s home from the navy; and that Sunday dinner, with chicken, dumplings and gravy. And the new preacher, you sent us Lord; he sure is a fine young man. Why, he’s been converting them sinners, just to beat the band.

Well I guess I’ll be moseying along Lord, and not take up no more of your time. I guess the needful folks here abouts is waiting to ring your line. Evening to you Lord, and, watch over us tonight. And don’t go worrying bout us none, cause everything’s going to be all right.

By J.D. Sumner (Gospel Music Legend)

No comments: